"On May 10, 1892 Dungeness settlers created a bond for land and a two story school house. The school house opened on February 27, 1893. There were 73 students from the ages of 5 to 20 and one teacher who lived on the second floor of the school. Classes were large and books and supplies not easy to get. School Board minutes of April 8, 1895, show a motion was passed to buy the school a bottle of ink.
In 1955, the Dungeness and Sequim School Districts were consolidated, and the old Dungeness School was closed. In 1967 the Dungeness Community Club purchased the land and the building from the Sequim School District. The Dungeness School was designated a Washington State Historical Site in 1973. On May 19, 1988, the building was listed on the National Register of Historical Places. In 1995, faced with rising maintenance costs, the schoolhouse was donated to the local museum and is now operated as a division of the Museum and Arts Center."